Nigeria: Breaking – Boko Haram Kills 29 Secondary School Students in Yobe

Nigerian President GOODLUCK JONATHAN

Nigerian President
GOODLUCK JONATHAN

 

 

Reports from Yobe State indicate that about 29 students of the Federal Government College, Buni Yadi, were killed on Monday night while they slept in their dormitories.

The spokesperson of the Joint Task Force, JTF, in the state, Lazarus Eli, confirmed the attack to Aljazeera network. He however did not give the exact number of casualties.

Mr. Eli said the gunmen “opened fire on student hostels”.

He said details are still sketchy due to lack of telephone access and it is still not clear how many students were affected in the attack.

The outlawed Boko Haram sect is suspected to be behind the attack which took place around 2 a.m.

The sect had carried out a similar attack in Yobe last September killing over 40 students at the College of Agriculture, Gujba.

Also, earlier in July last year, Boko Haram carried out an overnight attack on students of Government Secondary School, Mumoda, killing over 40 students.

Mr. Eli said the military has already dispatched a team to Buni Yadi to track and apprehend the killers.

Yobe, like Borno and Adamawa, has been under emergency rule since May 2013 as the military tries to dislodge the Boko Haram insurgents. Despite the emergency rule, hundreds of people have been killed in different attacks in the affected states.

Source: Premium Times

About the Author
Moses M'Bowe, is the Chief International Correspondent, For New Africa Business News And New Africa Daily News.

Leave a Reply

*

Africas Best Newspaper